Why will I use the Atmel AVR?
After much thought and web searching I decided to use the Atmel AVR, my reasons are as follows (for the time being!)
- Speed - run at close to 1mips per MHz and clock frequency of up to 20MHz
- Functionality - sufficient timers, ADC, Ports for most applications
- Development - good IDE from Atmel now up to Studio 5, free assembler, free debugger, free C compiler, low cost Basic and Pascal compilers
- Support - Interesting and active forum with many design examples to get going
- Chips - a variety of chip formats are available from the tiny to the mega with low pin numbers to high pin numbers
- Programming - programming only requires a simple cable with very little hardware involved
- Adopted in the Arduino system - useful, adaptable and loads of low to high level functions available.